Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A) Finance Analyst
Collaborate with Innovative 3Mers Around the World
Choosing where to start and grow your career has a major impact on your professional and personal life, so it’s equally important you know that the company that you choose to work at, and its leaders, will support and guide you. With a diversity of people, global locations, technologies and products, 3M is a place where you can collaborate with 96,000 other curious, creative 3Mers.
“For more than 30 years at 3M, I’ve seen firsthand how it’s a place where curious, creative and collaborative people thrive and build a rewarding career. As a leader in this company, my goal is to ensure each 3Mer sees and feels the positive impact we’re making around the world” – Mike Roman, chief executive officer and chairman, 3M
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government or military environments to a 3M career.
The Impact You’ll Make in this Role
As a Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A) Finance Analyst, you will have the opportunity to tap into your curiosity and collaborate with some of the most innovative and diverse people around the world.
- You will make an impact in acquisitions by:
- Conducting management interviews, virtual data room reviews, reviews of audit workpapers, etc. with focus on determining quality of earnings, quality working capital, debt and debt-like and other deal price related items.
- Working with the advisors, when 3M engages external due diligence, to ensure a properly scoped Quality of Earnings/Diligence report.
- Reporting results of financial diligence to Business Group and Division and Finance Management, Corporate Development and Corporate Finance executives.
- Analyzing, negotiating, drafting and resolving post-close working capital and indebtedness adjustments.
- Reviewing sale and cost synergy assumptions and providing feedback for Corporate Development’s inclusion in the valuation model.
- Assisting with purchase accounting.
- Managing external valuation firm’s completion of the tangible, intangible, and legal entity valuations.
- You will make an impact in divestitures by:
- Working closely with Division Finance Leaders to understand the business to be divested and define scope of assets or entities to be sold.
- Preparing carve-out financial statements and financial data room deliverables.
- Leading diligence calls with prospective buyers on finance and accounting topics.
- Proposing key terms and financial structures for inclusion in divestiture legal agreements including determining working capital definition and target.
- Where necessary, coordinating engagement of external advisors for preparation of external sell-side diligence report (Quality of Earnings).
- Estimating and analyzing stranded costs and impacts to corporate earnings per share.
- Aligning Corporate Accounting, Division Finance, and global Subsidiaries on divestiture accounting and required transition activities.
Your Skills and Expertise
To set you up for success in this role from day one, 3M requires (at a minimum) the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher (completed and verified prior to start) from an accredited institution
- Three (3) combined years of accounting and/or finance in a private, public, government or military environment
Additional qualifications that could help you succeed even further in this role include:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in accounting, finance, economics or other business discipline (completed and verified prior to start) from an accredited institution
- Three (3) years providing finance business counsel or experience in finance and/or financial due diligence department of a corporation, investment bank and/or a management consulting firm
- One (1) combined year of project management and/or project leadership and/or experience with mergers and acquisition related integrations
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and/or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) certification
- MBA from an accredited university in Finance, Accounting or Economics
Travel: May include up to 10% domestic/international
Relocation Assistance: May be authorized
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
Supporting Your Well-being
3M offers many programs to help you live your best life – both physically and financially. To ensure competitive pay and benefits, 3M regularly benchmarks with other companies that are comparable in size and scope.
Resources for You
For more details on what happens before, during and after the interview process, check out the Insights for Candidates page at 3M.com/careers.
Learn more about 3M’s creative solutions to the world’s problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M.
Responsibilities of this position include that corporate policies, procedures and security standards are complied with while performing assigned duties.
3M is an equal opportunity employer. 3M will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
Please note: your application may not be considered if you do not provide your education and work history, either by: 1) uploading a resume, or 2) entering the information into the application fields directly.