Calpine Corporation is America’s largest generator of electricity from natural gas and geothermal resources with operations in competitive power markets. Our fleet of 76 power plants in operation and under construction represents approximately 26,000 megawatts of generation capacity. Through wholesale power operations and our retail businesses, we serve customers in 23 states, Canada and Mexico. Our clean, efficient, modern and flexible fleet uses advanced technologies to generate power in a low-carbon and environmentally responsible manner.
Our company was established on the premise that a strong commitment to the environment is inextricably linked to excellence in power generation and corporate responsibility. Since its founding in 1984, Calpine has led the power industry in its unwavering commitment to environmental stewardship. In addition, our renewable geothermal plants use steam generated deep below the earth’s surface to produce clean, renewable electricity.
Description of Role: Commercial Analytics Intern (Summer 2022)
Perform analysis of business decisions and strategic issues, including issues related to electricity and natural gas markets, transmission analysis, load forecasting, plant operations and dispatch, asset and contract commodity margins.
Support the continued development of:
• Calpine’s corporate views on the commodity markets and the inherent fundamental risk factors
• Models and tools used for power price forecasting, deal valuation & hedging, fundamental forecasting, and commodity margin forecasting.
• Managing data integrity for Calpine’s Commercial Analytics group.
• Calpine’s modeling infrastructure including asset and contract models as well as repositories of fundamental market data
• Exact summer projects will be determined at the time of the commencement of the internship.
Candidate should be working on a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree at an accredited college or university in a quantitative or analytical field, such as business, mathematics, statistics, economics, finance, accounting, engineering, or physics.
Knowledge base should cover a subset of the following topics:
• Must have at least two years of undergraduate coursework completed by the start of the internship. Graduate students also encouraged to apply.
• Minimum GPA 3.2
• Legally eligible to work in the United States now and in the future
• Demonstrated aptitude applying analytical tools such as Microsoft Excel, R, VBA, Python, or similar programming environments
• Able to work autonomously and under the pressure of multiple deadlines
• Demonstrated understanding Microsoft Office products (VBA, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word)
• Knowledge of the energy industry, specifically the independent power or utility sector, is a plus.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills are a must.
• Team player who enjoys diving into issues, brainstorming solutions, and learning new methods and tools to address problems
• High degree of enthusiasm and drive
• Must be flexible and able to work harmoniously with others
• Good problem solving and analytical ability
• Good organization skills and attention to details are essential
Calpine requires an individual who is newly hired into this position to be vaccinated for COVID-19 within the first 28 days of employment – if not already vaccinated prior to starting employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Calpine’s HR department after a decision has been made about whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment. Calpine does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable accommodation.