ASPIRE TO POWER YOUR FUTURE
At Calpine, we give you the tools you need to chart your own career path in an engaging, fast-paced environment where you can learn from power industry leaders.
Whether you are a student seeking an internship that offers real-world experience, a recent graduate ready to build a rewarding career or a seasoned professional who wants to expand your horizons, Calpine provides meaningful opportunities and challenges.
Our learning and development platforms and educational reimbursement programs enable employees with initiative to explore their own potential in a dynamic and rewarding industry.
TitlePortfolio Analysis Specialist
Job FamilyCommercial Analytics
Subject to DOT RegulationsNo
• Perform economic commodity margin forecasting for Calpine’s generation fleet based on commodity markets, market/contract structures and asset characteristics.
• Perform analysis of business decisions and strategic issues, including issues related to plant operations and dispatch, commodity markets, asset and contract commodity margins, and transaction pricing.
• Perform reporting on asset fleet’s operational parameters including generation, fuel burns, heat rates, capacity factors, etc.
• Perform analysis of operational issues including outage costs and optimization, operational trends, and investment analysis
• Co-ordinate with multiple functional groups/stakeholders within the company for annual budgeting/long term forecasting
• Support the continued development of:
o Calpine’s modeling infrastructure including asset and contract models as well as repositories of fundamental market data
o Board meeting ECM analysis and market slides
o Periodic corporate business plan projections and commercial transaction targets
o Commercial views supporting business strategy, hedging decisions, and development/acquisition opportunities.
• Margin Forecasting
• Model Development
• Asset Optimization
• Investment Analysis
• Operations Reporting
• Operations Analysis
• Advanced level Excel model-building skills
• Demonstrated aptitude applying analytical tools, such as Allegro, LIM, Energy Velocity, FEA, or Ventyx Planning & Risk.
• Demonstrated understanding of asset valuation methods (dispatch models, options, swaps, tolls, and PPAs).
• Intermediate programming skills with one or more of the following: VBA, R, Python
• Familiarity with Monte Carlo simulation and two-factor forecasting models.
• Intermediate level presentation and Power Point skills
• Experience with manipulating large amounts of data and working with structured databases (SQL, MDB)
• Candidate should offer a subset of the experience and knowledge below:
o Experience modeling assets similar to those in Calpine’s portfolio, including gas-fired combined cycles and cogeneration plants, geothermal assets, tolling and other contracts, storage facilities, battery etc.
o Knowledge of US gas and electric market fundamentals, including supply and demand, environmental legislation, and regional market structures.
o Familiar with power plant design and performance metrics.
o Valuation of commodity and derivative transactions as well as the impacts of various regulatory policies.
• Team player with a “whatever it takes” attitude who is used to diving into an issue, brainstorming solutions, and learning new methods and tools to address.
Bachelors or Masters degrees in mathematics, computational science, engineering, finance, economics, or accounting.
5-8 years of experience with 3-6 years of related work experience.
- Vaccination Information: Calpine requires an individual who is newly hired into this position to be vaccinated for COVID-19 within the first 28 days of employment – if not already vaccinated prior to starting employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Calpine’s HR department after a decision has been made about whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment. Calpine does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable accommodation.
- Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
- Calpine is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on case-by-case basis.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here.