Job Summary: (includes but is not limited to the following, other duties may be assigned):
Our new Sustainability Specialist will work with experienced leaders to further our efforts in developing renewable energy and carbon management products, tools, and client solutions. Providing internal and external support as a subject matter expert pertaining to compliance with various scope 2 GHG reporting standards and best practices, this role will be integral to our providing competitive and innovative client offerings.
• With limited supervision, develop, manage and produce knowledge transfer program for sales efforts to convert prospect/client GHG data into marketable sales initiatives or actions. This will include but is not limited to researching and assessing relevant sections of targeted corporate ESG reports then providing information pertaining to:
o Type of carbon standards / target adherences and the reporting group / agency selected
o Established scope 2 reduction goals and progress made to-date against scope 2 goals
o Time-sensitive gap analysis for client or prospect to attain scope 2 goals based on actions taken and current trajectory
o Identify any dissonance between actions taken and standards chosen
o Develop a system to “score” client or prospect, signifying the scale and timing of the opportunity for Solutions
o Recommendations for products and services that would meet the standards selected and properly balance the overall quality and cost of the clients’ efforts.
• Attain / maintain relevant professional certifications or education relating to sustainability and risk management to establish bona fides as a subject matter expert.
• Participate in client calls or presentations and industry conferences or speaking engagements as requested to act in the capacity of subject matter expert regarding scope 2 reporting standards.
• Stay current on market, policy, and regulatory events that influence our recommendations.
• Provide ongoing ESG / Carbon reporting updates via webinar and email communication to internal stakeholders.
• Familiarity with and ability to access and cite relevant information for internal and external discussions from Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP), Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), The Climate Registry (CR), Renewable Energy Buyers Alliance (REBA), Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Greenhouse Gas Reporting Program (GHGRP), and other relevant GHG and reporting NGOs and data sources.
• Report activities and results consistent with expectations set.
• Adhere to policies and procedures established by Solutions.
• Some travel required.
• Undergraduate degree, MBA preferred.
• Minimum of 5 years of experience working in energy commodity markets.
• Minimum of 2 years of experience in working structured sustainability transactions.
• A track record of creating results.
• Strong interpersonal skills to ensure issues are identified early and feasible solutions are developed on a timely and equitable basis.
• Ability to professionally present to internal and external audiences including senior managers.
• Knowledge of risk valuation methodology is preferred.
• Knowledge and practice of using a sales methodology.
• Knowledge of current GHG reporting practices is a must.
• Ability to work and contribute as an effective team player in a fast paced sales environment.
• Aptitude to work independently to adapt to changing industry demands and internal factors.
• Problem solver, offering practical thinking and approaches when applicable, providing sound analysis and judgment when making decisions and/or recommendations.
• Excellent database, spreadsheet, presentation and word processing software skills required (Office 2010).
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.