MBA SUMMER ASSOCIATE
Position Title: MBA Summer Associate
Job Code Text: Summer Intern
Department: Strategic Planning
Primary Org Unit: Chief Financial Officer
Reports to: Manager, Strategic Planning; Director, Strategic Planning
Job Summary: Provide support to the CenterPoint’s Strategic Planning group and other functions such as Investor Relations, Treasury, and Financial Planning & Analysis. Summer associates will be responsible for leading and delivering actionable insights on projects related to strategic planning, financial analysis of business decisions, M&A, and business case developments.
· Performs financial, economic, and strategic analysis for capital investment projects, often in conjunction with one of CenterPoint Energy’s business units or business functions.
· Analyzes the competitive landscape of the Company’s current and potential future markets and benchmarks against industry best practices.
· Analyzes growth initiatives and strategies that help the company increase earnings, including M&A activities.
· Develops, and evaluates the attractiveness of, business cases with cross-functional teams.
· Works with the team overseeing the assigned projects throughout the summer. Will likely also be assigned a mentor to assist in assessing the assigned project’s critical issues, conducting the analysis, and making appropriate business recommendations.
· Will also have the opportunity to meet and learn from senior leaders and executives through formal and informal meetings and events such as lunch-and-learn.
· Make specific recommendations on his/her projects to the Strategic Planning, project’s owner group(s), and to senior leaders in a final presentation.
Education: Currently enrolled in an accredited MBA Program; Finance Major or Minor preferred but not required
Experience: Requires no prior related work experience; Experience in the energy industry or other regulated industries are a plus
Additional Knowledge, Skills, Licenses/Certifications, Abilities & Personal Characteristics (KSLAPs):
· The candidate should have solid grounding in financial modeling and valuation techniques as well as an understanding of the leading frameworks and analytical tools in business disciplines other than finance (strategic management, economics, accounting, operations, marketing etc.)
· Must be able to approach problems with an enterprise mindset and manage competing priorities
· Successful candidates will demonstrate an ability to work independently with cross-functional teams and should be comfortable with ambiguity
· Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint required
· Must have a valid driver’s license
· This job description reflects an assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned
This job description reflects essential job duties, but it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Other duties and tasks may be assigned to this job at the company’s
CenterPoint Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer looking to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, females, people with disabilities, and veterans.
“This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR §§ 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a), and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or disability.”