Job Title: Strategic Planning & Execution Analyst
Department: Strategic Planning
Reports to: Chief Strategic Planning Officer
Current EE: Vacant
FLSA Status: Exempt
Approved Date: 06/24/2021
Assist with the planning and execution of corporate-wide and cross-divisional initiatives of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo (HLSR) through strategy development, planning, and execution.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but not limited to the following:
- Perform qualitative and quantitative data analysis, apply business intelligence, and make actionable recommendations to support the overall strategy.
- Develop, implement, and analyze reports to track progress toward the ideation and execution of strategic projects highlighting risks to project costs and timelines, and proposing strategies to mitigate these risks. Prepare analyses which contribute to the prioritization and escalation of projects, as well as the allocation of resources. Partner with internal and external stakeholders to identify opportunities which align with HLSR strategic plan and goals. Maintain and foster these partnerships through project completion. Conduct competitive analysis and research industry trends to identify and communicate opportunities and threats to HLSR, along with action-oriented solutions. Work with IT and other departments at HLSR in the development, implementation, and enhancement of HLSR’s data warehouse and overall data capabilities.
- Develop a working knowledge of the data/information stored in the data warehouse as well as data that is available but not included and make recommendations to enhance the information included.
- In addition to developing a working knowledge of the data warehouse, this position will develop an expertise in HLSR’s data analytics to determine and reflect trends.
- Assist in the preparation of financial models demonstrating the impact of key business decisions on HLSR and develop alternative courses of action aimed at optimizing company growth and profitability.
HIGH ACCOUNTABILITY FUNCTIONS
- Apply business and quantitative skills towards insightful analysis and practical business solutions on components of the annual Show and other opportunities throughout the year.
- Serve as an internal consultant, collaborating with all internal departments to deliver high-quality, proactive analytical tools and dashboards aimed at tracking short, intermediate and long-term goals and the applicable key performance indicators.
- Evaluate proposed changes to internal processes, external partnerships, and strategies to achieve incremental benefits. Recommend new approaches where opportunities are identified. Analyze revenue generating opportunities related to all components of the annual Show.
- Conduct competitive analyses and research industry trends to identify and communicate opportunities and threats to HLSR, along with action-oriented solutions.
- Prepare economic forecasting models demonstrating the impact of key business decisions and strategic projects on HLSR and recommend alternative actions aimed at optimizing HLSR’s long term goals.
- Initiate and conduct ad-hoc analyses on issues throughout HLSR as required.
- Create, write, and present analytical findings and recommendations to senior leaders and participate in discussions by delivering action-oriented solutions in a concise and professional manner.
- Regularly evaluate processes and make recommendations to improve efficiency.
- Participate in meetings pertaining to assigned responsibilities; organize and lead as required.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree from four-year College or university in Business Analytics, Data Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or related field; and 3 to 5 years related experience in business analytics and/or financial analysis or master’s degree in Business Administration from an established and accredited university.
Other Skills and Abilities
Effective listening, oral, and written communication skills. Ability to gather, analyze and present detailed information related to all aspects of business to audiences of diverse experiences. Strong, solution-oriented thinker with project management, critical thinking, and communication skills. Passion in championing insights based on data that can support issue resolution and proactive opportunities to drive improvement.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee may be required to sit, stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. During the Show, the employee may be required to frequently walk to various places on the grounds. The employee may be required to lift and/or move 15 or more pounds.
Extended work hours required, especially during peak periods. The employee may be on feet for up to sixteen hours per day during set-up and the Show.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to dust, chemicals, and animals at various times.