Director, Data & AI – Merchandise Planning
- HQ-Office, San Francisco, CA, USA
You’re an original. So are we.
We’re a company of people who like to forge our own path. We invented the blue jean in 1873, and we reinvented khaki pants in 1986. We pioneered labor and environmental guidelines in manufacturing. And we work to build sustainability into everything we do. Our brands stand for freedom and self-expression around the world.
Where we lead, others follow. For more than 160 years, we’ve used the strength of our brands to lead with our values and make an outsized impact on the world. We employ more than 15,000 people globally to support our great brands: Levi’s®, Dockers®, Denizen® and Signature by Levi Strauss & Co.™
The Director of Data and AI – Merchandise Planning will report into the Global Commercial Head of Data & AI and oversee technical and commercial execution of data science and AI activities related to planning, merchandising, and inventory management. You will prioritize and size the opportunity of AI applications, and lead project teams to implement and achieve measurable value. We are looking for a rare blend of hands-on technical data science and coding skills; and experience delivering commercial value within the planning function of a retail environment. You will be a recognized expert in forecasting, using both traditional methods and newer, AI/ deep learning-based methods. As cultural integration is essential to success of this role, you will also embody the values and passions that characterize Levi Strauss & Co., including empathy to engage with colleagues from different backgrounds; and inspire others within your team and across the organization.
Location: Anywhere in the U.S. Travel to San Francisco anticipated 4-6x per year (post-Covid).
- Bring commercial value through application of advanced data analytics and AI to Planning and related field:
- Work with important partners to lead projects / initiatives
- Ensure impact by tracking and delivering commercial value, measured in revenue/EBIT growth, cost savings, and uplift / improvement compared to previous approaches
- Lead projects end-to-end, from ideation through technical execution to business implementation and automation
- Partner with the global team and counterparts to bring faster speed to execution; promote re-use;
- Promote agreement on buy or build decisions. When buying, partner with colleagues to assess capability of external AI vendors.
- Based on priorities set by partner needs, set and own data strategy to improve value and use
- Identify relevant data sources to understand behaviors, attitudes, preferences, and trends
- Work with data stewards and data owners to implement measurements of data quality and usability, and a plan to improve over time
- Encourage the use of data and data-driven decision-making
- Empower colleagues with self-service capabilities through data tools and dashboards
- Manage local implementation and automation of projects, promoting analytics
- Oversee project life-cycle management: quickly scale in-progress to pilot; pilot to production; production to automation, freeing up resources to work through backlogs
- Integrate analytical / AI solutions into systems and processes, automating completed work
- Manage risks and requirements; use personal network and partner relationships to resolve roadblocks
- Promote agile working / practices within the broader team
- Grow and develop team, AI and analytical knowledge throughout the organization
- Assemble and lead outstanding project teams of data scientists, engineers, analysts, and partners; over time, build a reputation for LS&Co. as an employer of choice for data and AI professionals
- Manage team and budget, for the right blend of resources
- Build a community of data and analytics-savvy colleagues through a combination of training, knowledge sharing and inspiration / best practice sharing
- Demonstrate a spirit of cooperation and transparency
- Demonstrate empathy and positive psychology, and with working relationships across commercial and technology teams, locally and globally
- Ensure accuracy and relevance of all work through peer reviews, pair-programming, and close partnership with colleagues across the business
- Create transparency with all code and project plans saved to global Confluence / Git repositories; promote re-use
- Advanced degree (Master’s or PhD) in a quantitative discipline (statistics, computer science, social sciences) with working knowledge of SQL, Python, Spark, MapReduce machine learning / AI techniques, cloud computing
- Expert in forecasting methods, both traditional and using AI/deep learning
- Experience in a role applying data and AI within a Planning function, ideally in a retail and/or fashion setting, with demonstrated examples of commercial impact through data science and AI
- Experience leading technical and business teams in a matrixed organization; work with data, technology and business teams;
- You can tell stories through data, leveraging effective data visualization
- Work across multiple projects/initiatives, troubleshoot and problem solve
We put a lot of thought into our programs to provide you with a benefits package that matters. Whether it is for medical care, taking time off, improving your health or planning for retirement, we’ve got you covered. Here’s a snapshot:
- 401K match: $1.25 for every $1.00 you contribute up to the first 6% of pay you save.
- Five hours of paid volunteer time per month with nonprofit organizations
- Product discount of 50% off regular-price merchandise
San Francisco, CA, USA
FULL TIME/PART TIME