NY Green Bank (“NYGB”) is a globally recognized $1.0 billion sustainable investment management fund with the mission to accelerate clean energy deployment in New York State (“NYS” or the “State”) by collaborating with the private sector to transform financing markets. NYGB works to increase the size, volume and breadth of sustainable infrastructure investment activity throughout the State, expand the base of investors focused on NYS clean energy, and increase market participants’ access to capital on commercial terms. To achieve these objectives, NYGB develops transaction structures and methodologies that overcome typical clean energy investment barriers. With more than $1.1 billion invested as of September 30, 2020, NYGB has demonstrated that many of the financial market barriers to sustainable infrastructure projects in NYS are surmountable. NYGB is a division of the New York State Energy Research & Development Authority (“NYSERDA”).
NYGB seeks a highly motivated individual with excellent organizational, writing, critical thinking and quantitative skills to join the NYGB team in the position of Summer Associate, Operations and Finance. For 10-weeks, the Summer Associate will work closely with a small team that manages NYGB’s portfolio operations, financial operation, general operations, treasury-related, fund administration, loan servicing, accounting, and financial reporting functions. The Summer Associate will gain hands-on experience to a wide variety of activities, clean energy transactions and the underlying energy technologies. Depending on needs at the time, the Summer Associate will work on projects related to one or more aspects of NYGB’s business planning, investment process and portfolio management, fund administration, strategy development, risk, compliance and infrastructure implementation. This is a paid internship for current, full-time students.
- Support the full range of day-to-day operations activities across the organization, including:
- Strategy development, business planning and implementation;
- Financial planning and analysis;
- Fund administration, loan/investment servicing;
- Data and information management;
- All reporting (management, internal/external, periodic/ad hoc);
- Human resources matters;
- Interactions with NYSERDA colleagues as required across a range of topics (e.g., finance, HR, legal, specific programs); and
- Stakeholder interaction and management;
- Prepare analyses, internal/external reports, presentations to senior managers around strategic, operational and other matters;
- Manage ad hoc and special projects as needed.
Core Competencies and Experience
- Team-player with demonstrated interest in sustainability / sustainable investments;
- Action/results-oriented: able to execute and get desired results, consistently gets things done in a timely and professional manner, honed attention to detail;
- Able to handle a large volume and variety of projects in parallel: able to prioritize and keep all initiatives moving forward to meet deadlines, flexibility to move between projects, including where priorities and objectives shift;
- Involves the right people at the right time for optimal problem-solving and decision-making;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with extensive proficiency in MS Excel and other MS Office products including Power Point and Word, familiarity with accounting and client relationship management software or similar systems a plus;
- Able to build trust and strong relationships across (and outside) the organization;
- Takes ownership of tasks, projects and relationships and follows through on obligations and promises;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to articulate complex concepts;
- Unparalleled work ethic with the ability to perform under pressure and tight deadlines;
- Adaptable, self-starter capable of working under limited supervision as well as taking on new and unfamiliar tasks as needed while working effectively in a dynamic, fluid and fast-paced organization; and
- Previous experience with investment operations and/or project, structured or leveraged finance and investment is not required but is a plus.
- Current full-time student;
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in finance, economics, business or a related area; and
- Preferably working toward a Master’s degree in business, finance, economics, or a related degree.
Please submit one file that includes both your cover letter and resume to email@example.com by January 22, 2021. (Applications submitted only through your school’s recruiting portal will not be considered.) Include “NYGB Summer Associate, Operations & Finance” in the subject line of your email.
NYSERDA is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by contacting the Designee for Reasonable Accommodations (DRA) and Americans with Disabilities Act Coordinator which can be found under the Americans with Disabilities Act section of this page labeled as “Reasonable Accommodation Contact Information.”