The Development Intern is a hands-on, curious, team-oriented, real estate interested early career professional or graduate student who has a strong understanding of the basic range of commercial office, mixed-use and/or multifamily activities. This internship is for Summer 2021.
What you’ll do:
- Learn Skanska’s values, ethical guidelines, and management systems;
- Work within a team to learn the process of realizing the development vision established for a project;
- Develop skills in and provide support:
- In the coordination of individual multi-discipline projects in a broad range of activities from acquisition to fulfillment of project execution, through the disposition of the asset;
- To projects and the development team in the process of acquiring, analyzing, developing, and presenting extensive market research;
- Work with the project team leadership to learn the development process from conceptual design through project execution by providing support in the development of and the running of financial analyses related to market analysis, acquisitions, leasing, and divestment;
- Assist in the marketing & leasing efforts associated with the project, including pitches, presentations, tenant tours, lease execution and administration, and tenant administration, etc.;
- Work collaboratively and transparently with Skanska USA Building as a construction partner.
We’re Looking For:
- Creative, curious, and quick to adapt with practical management skills;
- Self-starter, who is passionate about real estate development;
- An authentic appreciation for and alignment with Skansksa’s Purpose and Values, including honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments;
- Respect and encouragement of viewpoints of those from diverse cultures, races, ages, genders, religions, and lifestyles to build collaborative relationships and communicate effectively;
- Demonstrated digital fluency, showing the ability to maximize new and emerging technologies in order to work, learn and live in a digital society;
- Highly organized and pro-active with the ability to fulfill commitments;
- Ability to build and maintain collaborative relationships to work effectively with others in a team setting;
- Emerging leadership qualities and skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and outstanding written & oral communication skills.
- Course study related to finance, real estate development or a related industry (such as architecture or planning);
- Financial and analytical acumen with Microsoft Excel and Argus;
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to present information and respond to questions/inquiries from senior staff, peers, and business associates;
- Theoretical background with experience in some parts of the commercial investment and development process, such as:
- Land acquisition and sourcing;
- Feasibility studies;
- Financial analysis and budgeting;
- Entitlements and zoning;
- Project valuation and finance;
- Architectural design and construction management;
- Leasing, marketing, and public relations;
- Basic knowledge of cost control processes, real estate funding and project reporting;
- Sustainable building concepts
Working towards a Bachelor’s Degree from four-year college or university minimum, ongoing or completed MBA or Master’s Degree in related fields.
Developing Your Career at Skanska, You Will:
- Contribute to a sustainable future improving the lives of people, communities and companies;
- Collaborate in an open culture where sound values and dedicated people come together for greater results;
- Thrive in a people-driven international company with countless opportunities to learn and grow.
Skanska is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination, harassment, or retaliation. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline or discharge is based on the job requirement, individual qualifications, merit, and business needs. Skanska does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability (includes physical or mental), citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, civil union or domestic partnership status, military or veteran status, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other protected characteristics under federal, state, or local law.
Skanska is one of the world’s leading construction and development companies. Skanska’s core operations in the U.S. include building construction, civil infrastructure, and developing self-financed commercial properties. In 2020, construction in the U.S. generated $6.5 billion in revenue, and as a developer in the U.S., Skanska has invested a total of $2.8 billion in commercial and multi-family projects. With U.S. headquarters in New York City, Skanska has 29 offices with 7,600 employees nationwide. An industry-leading innovator in both safety and project execution, Skanska offers competitive solutions for traditional and complex assignments that build a more sustainable future for our customers and communities. Global revenue of parent company Skanska AB, headquartered in Stockholm and listed on the Stockholm Stock Exchange, totaled approximately $17.2 billion in 2020.
Search Firm and Employment Agency Disclaimer
Skanska USA Human Resources (“Skanska HR”) provides HR services to the Skanska business units within the U.S.A. including Skanska USA Civil Inc., Skanska USA Building Inc., Skanska USA Commercial Development Inc. and Skanska Infrastructure Development Inc. (collectively “Skanska USA”). As such, Skanska HR is the sole authorized representative of Skanska USA to execute any agreements with search firms, employment agencies or any employment vendor (“Vendor”). As a condition precedent to any entitlement for payment, a Vendor shall have both (1) Skanska USA Placement Agreement, and (2) an Engagement Job Order executed by an authorized Skanska HR representative. Absent the properly executed documents, Skanska HR shall have no obligation to make payment to the Vendor. Verbal or written communications from any employee of Skanska USA business units shall not be considered binding obligations. All resumes whether unsolicited or solicited shall be considered property of Skanska HR.
- Location: Houston, Texas, United States
- Schedule: Full-time
- Employee Status: Regular