The External Public Markets Investment Senior Analyst – Associate performs complex (journey-level) investment research and analysis work. Work involves assisting with fundamental and statistical research and analysis and performing due diligence for existing and potential investments in equity and hedge fund managers. Works under general supervision with moderate latitude for initiative and independent judgment. This position reports to the Senior Director of External Public Markets.
Compensation: The TRS Investment Management Division offers an attractive compensation package consisting of base salary, annual performance incentive bonus, a defined-benefit pension plan as well as 401(k) and 457 retirement plans, and comprehensive benefits.
Depending upon the qualifications of the individual selected and the discretion of the hiring manager, the position will be filled at one of two levels (Senior Analyst or Associate). Starting salary is commensurate with experience.
State classification information:
Senior Analyst: 1131/Investment Analyst II/B24
Associate: 1132/Investment Analyst III/B26
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Research and Analysis
- Assists in performing fundamental and statistical investment analysis for potential investment opportunities, including basic investment computations (i.e., return multiples, correlations, volatility analysis, attribution analysis, etc.), using any reliable printed or electronic media, partnership offering memoranda, and one on one contact with general and limited partners.
- Conducts and assists in conducting investment research on various industries, companies, strategies, and countries using computer databases.
- Provides timely written and oral reports of analysis and recommendations to Investments staff and management.
- Assists investment managers in analyzing performance attribution using proprietary models.
- Performs and assists in performing due diligence research and analysis for existing and potential investment opportunities and/or external strategies.
- Takes notes and summarizes TRS manager meetings and internal meetings.
- Documents and organizes the record of the manager due diligence process.
- Assists in evaluating portfolio diversification by geography, industry, and sub-asset class.
- Assists in the maintenance/improvement of existing and in the development of new quantitative and valuation models and techniques for investment diversification and risk management.
- Consults or coordinates with investment managers, analysts, investment accounting, legal counsel, custodian, and third-party advisors and consultants.
- Ensures that the agency Ethics Policy is adhered to in relationships with general partners, external managers, brokers, research suppliers, and other vendors.
- Performs related work as assigned
WHAT YOU WILL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in business administration, finance, accounting, operations research, math, information technology, liberal arts or a related area.
- A Master’s degree in a related area may substitute for (1) year of required experience.
- One (1) year of full-time professional investments related experience or other experience involving a high degree of skill in data analysis and evaluation, such as financial analysis, engineering, or statistics.
- Three (3) years of full-time professional investments experience or other experience involving a high degree of skill in data analysis and evaluation, such as financial analysis, engineering, or statistics.
- Experience in institutional investment research, accounting, financial analysis, or a related field.
- Investment management experience relevant to external public markets.
- Certification as a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) or working towards CFA.
- Certification as a Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) or working towards CAIA.
Registration, Certification, or Licensure:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Investment concepts, terminology, styles, models, strategies, and fundamental investment factors.
- Statistical concepts, methods, and models, and their application to investments.
- Using a computer in a Windows environment with word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and other business software to prepare correspondence, spreadsheets, charts, and reports.
- Conducting data searches and evaluations of large amounts of information, performing statistical analysis of the data, and preparing concise and accurate reports and written/oral recommendations.
- Planning, organizing, and prioritizing work assignments to manage a high-volume workload in a fast-paced and changing environment, and in completing detailed work with a high degree of accuracy.
- Verbal and written communication of complex information that is accurate, timely, and based on sound judgment.
- Establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with co-workers, agency staff, and external contacts.
- Work effectively in a professional team environment.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR WORKING CONDITIONS
Work is performed in a standard office environment and requires:
- normal cognitive abilities including the ability to learn, recall, and apply certain practices and policies;
- marginal or corrected visual and auditory requirements;
- constant use of personal computers, copiers, printers, and telephones;
- the ability to move about the office to access file cabinets and office machinery;
- frequent sitting and/or remaining in a stationary position; and
- the ability to work under deadlines, as a team member, and in direct contact with others.
Must be able to:
- regularly, reliably, and punctually attend work;
- work extended hours as necessary;
- travel routinely for work assignments and trainings;
- show flexibility and adaptability toward changes in assignments and work schedules;
- adhere to the agency’s internal management policies and procedures; and
- exhibit work behaviors consistent with agency core values.
Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) Codes:
Veterans, Reservists or Guardsmen with experience in the Military Occupational Specialty ( http://www.hr.sao.texas.gov/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC_AdministrativeSupport.pdf ) along with the minimum qualifications listed above may meet the minimum requirements and are highly encouraged to apply. Please contact Talent Acquisition at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or for additional information.
For more information, visit www.trs.texas.gov.