The Sterling Group is seeking a highly qualified Post MBA candidate to join our growing team of investment professionals. The Vice President will play an integral role in the next phase of Sterling’s success and begin what we hope will be a long-term career with the firm. The Vice President will be provided with the guidance and tools for a Partner track.
Investment Professional Vice President – Role Description
- Hands-on experience transforming companies and leading teams – As a member of Sterling’s investment team, Vice Presidents will be deeply involved in the improvement, strategy, and operations of middle market industrial companies. Given Sterling’s strategy and investing style, this is a unique opportunity to be a part of transforming businesses and industries. Vice Presidents are given the opportunity to contribute to and eventually lead all key efforts across the investment lifecycle, including investment thesis development, deal evaluation, diligence and execution, strategy development, key value creation initiatives, and exit preparation and execution. Vice Presidents will also be actively involved with portfolio company boards, with the goal of sitting on boards early in their career.
- Operational experience – Vice Presidents will have the opportunity to be embedded in a portfolio company for a year to gain further operational experience and directly transform the business from the inside. Vice Presidents will fill a senior management position, reporting directly to the CEO and working on projects ranging from operational improvements to acquisition integrations.
- Personal development programs – Sterling offers an annual stipend towards professional development in addition to a competitive bonus structure and carried interest. Vice Presidents will be teamed with one of the Partners as a formal mentor. This is an opportunity to learn from a diverse group of highly successful, but still deeply involved and committed Partners.
- Ability to drive growth at Sterling – The Vice President role will help shape the firm’s continuous improvement efforts, best practices, and strategy. Vice Presidents are invited to sit on one or more internal committees which actively shape the growth of the firm. Current committees include Sourcing, Improvement, Deal Evaluation, Human Capital, and ESG.
Job Responsibilities and Qualifications
Primary job responsibilities will include:
- Screen new investment opportunities and lead due diligence efforts
- Drive transaction evaluation and execution
- Collaborate closely with in-house functions such as Human Capital, Sourcing, Strategy, Operations, etc.
- Assist in negotiating acquisition and financing documentation
- Develop portfolio company strategy alongside management
- Lead monthly operational review meetings and engage in quarterly board meetings
- Lead internal initiatives and improvement efforts
- Manage pre-MBA Associates in day-to-day activities and as part of deal teams
- MBA from an accredited University
- 4 years of experience in investment banking, private equity, management consulting, and/or operational experience at a premier industrial company
- Experience and/or interest in manufacturing, distribution, and/or industrial markets
- Military or other significant leadership experiences are valued
- Passion for improving and growing industrial businesses
- Demonstrated academic excellence
- Self-driven personality
- Drive for continuous improvement on both personal and company levels
- Personal ties to, or a desire to live in Houston