About Vegetable and Butcher:
Founded in 2016, Vegetable and Butcher is an early-stage food-tech startup making healthy eating remarkably simple—fresh, flavorful, locally prepared meals and functional beverages delivered directly to your doorstep. In fewer than five years, we have delivered more than 500,000 meals to health-conscious individuals and families throughout the Washington, D.C. area. And we’re just getting started.
We are a passionate, crafty, farm-to-plate-loving team on a mission to help people [re]establish a more meaningful, more responsible, lasting relationship with wholesome and nourishing food. And we are revolutionizing how fresh, nutritious, high-quality food is purchased, manufactured, and delivered at scale.
About the Role:
We are looking for a seasoned software engineer to serve as our Manager or Director of Data and Software Engineering (depending on experience). In this role, you will report directly to our Co-founders and will be responsible for building, leading, and scaling a software engineering team.
As the first software engineer to join our team full-time, your role will be unique and varied, and will function much like a Chief Technology Officer position, requiring both strategic vision as well as tactical abilities. You will serve as the lead on all engineering and technology-related projects, with a specific focus on architecting, developing, and delivering highly scalable and innovative software that meets enables us to create incredibly memorable and personalized experiences for our customers.
You will work on consumer web and mobile apps as well as the operations systems that enable us to cook and deliver an ever-growing number of meals each month. As the leader of our soon-to-be software engineering team, you will be responsible for shipping the code that powers our business, from robust microservices, to code that interfaces with our shipping providers, to inventory and operations management at scale.
We understand that everyone is going to have strengths and weaknesses with regards to different aspects of software engineering. We encourage you to apply even if you feel some of the expectations would be challenging to meet. We will do our best to assess your level as part of the application process.
What You’ll Do (Including Example Projects Depending on Experience):
▪ Lead the design, development, and evolution of V+B’s data warehouse/data lake, data pipelines, and reporting and analysis systems
▪ Lead the design, development, and implementation of software applications that help streamline operations, eliminate redundancies, reduce internal errors, and elevate the customer experience
▪ Collaborate with our customer experience, operations, and growth teams to help refine our predictions to further reduce the amount of food waste, and ensure we always have adequate inventory on hand
▪ Lead the design, development, and usage of machine learning/statistical models and ensure rigorous validation procedures and adoption
▪ Work with the product team to redesign and improve our new user experience, providing more clarity and education throughout the purchase flow and customer account portal
▪ Design, develop, and review new and refactored software services on the platform
▪ Take ownership for quality of design and implementation of software components to ensure that they run securely, reliably, and at scale
▪ Identify and execute on opportunities to improve the software development lifecycle and processes
▪ Build a team of talented data scientists and software engineers
▪ Cultivate a team with high performance standards, inclusivity, collaboration, and commitment
▪ Provide guidance and mentorship to other members of the engineering team
▪ Contribute to the career development of others, meeting regularly with direct reports, providing frequent feedback on their work, helping individuals set goals to ensure employee growth and retention goals
Who You Are:
▪ Education, training or experience equivalent to a BS (or higher) in Computer Science or a related technical field involving coding (e.g., physics or mathematics)
▪ 6+ years of professional experience with software development, including 1 year in a leadership position
▪ 4+ years of experience with server-side programming languages like Python, Ruby, NodeJS, Java, or C#
▪ Well-versed in modern cloud platforms such as AWS or Google Cloud, and their associated technologies
▪ Experience with RDBMS and/or NoSQL data stores
▪ Experience with Agile software development and Agile software solutions like JIRA
▪ A passion for food, health, nutrition, and sustainability
What Would Make You Really Stand Out:
▪ Familiarity working with modern cloud based microservice architectures
▪ Strong continuous integration and continuous delivery experience
▪ Experience managing remote or distributed teams
▪ Experience building RESTful APIs and services at scale
▪ Experience transitioning monolithic systems to microservice-based systems
Life at Vegetable and Butcher:
▪ Join a kind, diverse, passionate, and driven team of all backgrounds and experience
▪ Delicious and nutritious meals, snacks, and functional beverages to keep you feeling healthy and energized
▪ Casual work environment
▪ Fun team outings (duckpin bowling, BBQs, happy hours, etc.)
▪ Comprehensive health benefits (medical, dental, vision) to fit your needs
▪ Competitive salary and equity package
▪ Flexible vacation and time off policy
Diversity and inclusion are essential values at Vegetable and Butcher. We know we’ll do our best and most impactful work when we feel we’re represented, and we belong. We’re proud to actively recruit and hire talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.