Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Corporate Development & Innovation Internship
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
The Intern position is within WM’s Corporate Development & Innovation (CD&I) group. The selected candidate(s) will join the group in identifying, investigating, evaluating and executing on new growth, strategy and innovation opportunities. The Intern(s) will work on multiple research and analysis projects simultaneously, across a broad range of priority topics related to Waste Management’s core operations, growth and investment opportunities. Interns will generally work as part of a team within the CD&I group, but may also work in larger, cross-functional teams that include members from groups such as finance, accounting, operations, marketing, engineering and legal.
Intern project topics will be selected based on the Intern’s interest areas, prior professional experience and the needs of the CD&I group, and the position will include opportunities for exposure to WM’s core businesses. Ultimately, a successful Intern will be a creative problem solver who can quickly synthesize the critical components of his or her research and analysis. This person must be willing and able to build relationships and reach out to other groups within the company to gather information.
- Research, prepare and present written and verbal reports on operational, environmental, financial and strategic topics
- Assist in the identification, development, evaluation and approval of new business, innovation, investment and acquisition projects and opportunities
- Provide recommendations and support to operational managers in the field
- Assist with interdepartmental strategy and planning initiatives; such projects will likely require coordination with other WM groups (e.g. finance, operations, marketing, engineering, legal)
- Assist with CD&I leadership and development initiatives
- Perform other duties as assigned
III. Skills and Capabilities:
Demonstrated competence and/or interest in several, but not necessarily all, of the following:
- Interpreting and developing analytical models (financial, statistical, simulation, etc.)
- Conducting in-depth industry research
- Assessing and analyzing economic data and industry trends
- Command of Excel and financial modeling
- Interpreting and analyzing financial statements and operating metrics
- Understanding of financial valuation and venture capital, investing and M&A processes
- Ability to work well with staff at all levels and across functional teams
- Self-motivation to work independent of direct supervision
- Ability to manage multiple workstreams simultaneously and prioritize deliverables
- Ability to think critically and communicate concisely, thoughtfully, and persuasively in person and in writing
- Interest in business and environmental sustainability issues, topics, and trends
- 1st year completed of Master of Business Administration Degree (accredited)
- Prefer 3-5 years business experience (in addition to education requirement)
- Experience working with analytical models (financial, statistical, simulation, etc.)
- Experience conducting in-depth industry research, including financial conditions and industry trends.
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- None required.